Sexual predators on the prowl

rape-toon

Ordinarily, rape is forcefully having sex with someone against her wish or will, especially using violence. Over 90% of predatory sex is perpetrated by males against females. To some extent, rape reflects the ambivalence, moral decadence, ethical bankruptcy, materialism, corrupt soul, widespread promiscuity and hypocrisy that have characterized Nigerians over the years.

There is no age limit  regarding rape as children, babies, adolescents, matured adults,
mothers, grandmothers, and women of over 70 years are being raped or defiled recklessly. Rape, generally speaking, is an infringement on the rights of individuals, particularly  children and could amount to gross violation of child rights.

It is believed that there are 181 rape cases within six months in Lagos State alone. Compared to other states of the federation (36-state structure and FCT Abuja), one can easily imagine the number of rape cases which in totality could be alarming.

Recently, Edo State Police Command paraded 50 suspects for various criminal activities including being members of deadly secret cults, armed robbery and so on. Out of the 50 for an example, 12 were held for rape and defilement of underage children. Among them are suspects above 65 years who are to be arraigned in court.

Victims of rape generally are female children hawking on the streets in towns, cities and villages who are often lured by predators or seized outrightly and taken into a room, sometimes uncompleted buildings and raped.

Poverty and lack of access to basic education are some of the contributory factors to the unwarranted defilement of underage girls. Hawking has become a cultural trait in many communities whereby female children are given oranges, yams, cooked maize, groundnuts, tomatoes, plantains to sell mostly after school hours by desperate parents in bids to boost family income. Many children are involved in such forced labour to make economic ends meet. They could end up being lured into secret, quiet places or rooms and raped even by neigbours.

Incidents of rape are not limited to children. Young women, married or single can be victims.
A woman who refused to disclose her name told this reporter about her ordeal in the hands of rapists while returning from the office at about 9 p.m on a lonely street in Igando, a suburb in Ojo Local Government Area.

Her words: “As I alighted from the bus, I was walking along the road to link my apartment when I was overtaken by two youngmen and forced into a quiet secluded uncompleted building. They brandished sharp long knives and told me that if I make any noise, I will regret and therefore should co-operate with them. There was nothing I could do at that instance. No one was around and the place was extremely quiet. The two boys took me into the building and forcibly had sex with me one by one.
“When they finished, they ran away and left me on the ground totally exhausted. I could not get up for 30 minutes. When I managed to get up, I went home to where I was staying with a girl friend ; wounded, sad and unhappy.”

But she was unable to narrate the incident to her friend who noticed by my appearance that something was wrong.

Defilement has taken a spiritual dimension also. A pastor in Olorun- sogo, Abeokuta, Ogun State, 34,  had carnal knowledge of a 20 year old church member. A charm was reportedly used on her after which she went into a trance as the pastor eventually had his way.

Another pastor reportedly raped a girl allegedly to “cleanse her spirit of dirt,” according to the victim in an Abuja court where the pastor was standing trial: “I cannot remember  the number of times that he raped me. Papa (pastor) told me it was a continuous deliverance and he had to sleep with me to clean the dirt inside me and cleanse my future.”