'You don't kill a final' – Mourinho


'You don't kill a final' – Mourinho slams Ramires red card in Super Cup defeat

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho accused referee Jonas Eriksson of "killing the final" when he showed Ramires a second yellow card in his side's penalty shootout defeat to Bayern Munich in the Super Cup.

The Brazilian midfielder was shown red in the 85th minute for a foul on Mario Gotze and Pep Guardiola’s side promptly came back to force extra time and later triumph.

While the Blues boss accepts that the challenge may have warranted a booking, he argues that to do so on such a big occasion ruined the spectacle.


"You will never, on the pitch or on the bench or competing at this level, you don't feel the
way we feel," Mourinho told the press.

"The people that live on football, the people whose life is football, we always feel there is a very important rule - that is the passion for football. If you are in love with football, you don’t kill a final like this. You don't kill a final.

"There were many other yellow cards during the match that the referee should give. With a good English referee, he stops the game and tells Ramires: 'You didn't hurt anyone but you could have', tells the Bayern players: 'Don't dive and don't try to provoke players', it would be 11 v 11.

"If you ask me in pure terms, yes, it was a yellow card, but you never do this in every action of the game in this way."

The Portuguese implied that there was a correlation between the red cards frequently shown to his players whenever he faces Guardiola, lamenting that "the best team lost".


"It's nothing new for me because I was at Chelsea and I played two or three times with 10 men against Barcelona," he observed. "I went to Inter and played with 10 men for an hour against Barcelona. I go to Real Madrid, I played again a Champions League semi-final with 10 men. I go back to Chelsea and I played a Super Cup final again with 10 men. Analyse the actions and make your conclusions.

"I'm disappointed because, in my opinion – and it's just my opinion, which I can have without being punished – is the best team lost.

"The team that deserves to win more lost but that's football. Sometimes it happens. The best team doesn't always win. Football is 11 against 11. 11 against 10 is, of course, easier for the team with 11 and the team with 10.

"I have a fantastic experience with playing with 10 men in Uefa matches. My players gave absolutely everything. When [Eden] Hazard scored there were still 27 minutes to play and playing with 10 men is an eternity. I just thought: 'Let's go.' I never thought the situation was over. When [Javi] Martinez scored the goal I felt it was undeserved but that’s football. No problem."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment