Sherwood: It's been an honour to manage Tottenham


Tim Sherwood spoke of the “honour” of managing Tottenham after learning that he will lose his job at the end of the season.

It is understood that Spurs have decided to replace Sherwood in the summer, with Louis Van Gaal and Mauricio Pochettino the front runners for the position.


Tottenham thumped bottom-placed Sunderland 5-1 at White Hart Lane on Monday night - but it will not be enough for Sherwood to stay in charge despite only agreeing an 18-month
contract in December. 

“It's an honour to manage this football club and if you have any questions about my future you'll have to ask my employers,” said Sherwood. 

"I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, it's been a great opportunity and I'm very proud to manage here.

“You can’t stop the speculation, it’s been there since I took over. It’s up to the football club to answer these questions.

"In a perfect situation I'd have had a pre-season and brought in my own players.”

Asked whether he was concerned that the club might have been talking to other managers, Sherwood replied: "I think a club would look at the next manager anyway. It’s like with players, you look at the next options. I don’t know if this club has been doing that.”

Meanwhile, Sunderland boss Gus Poyet accepted that it would take a miracle for his team to avoid relegation following a result that leaves them rooted to the bottom of the table, seven points from safety with seven games to play.

Poyet said: “I’m very honest. I’m realistic and when you look at the table and the games we have got left, I think we need a miracle. We need something unique to shock us - you can’t see it coming.

“There are so many things we cannot do. There is no place to hide and I take responsibility.

“I’m not the type of person who is going to blame someone else. I’m here, I’m the manager and I’m responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment