How my father turned me to a pipeline vandal at 14 – Suspect

Sani Musa (middle) and the other suspects.

A 15-year-old boy, who was arrested alongside four others by operatives of the Inspector-General of Police Special Task Force on Anti-Pipeline Vandalism, Thursday, disclosed that he was pestered by his father until he joined the illicit act of pipeline vandalism.

The suspect, Sani Musa and others were arrested with 200 kegs filled with diesel allegedly siphoned from a pipeline belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC,
along Shagamu/Ibadan expressway.

Also recovered was a truck with number plate KMC 111 XW.

Their arrest, according to the Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of the task force, Friday Ibadin, followed a tip-off that some vandals were leaving the NNPC pipeline in Shagamu.
Policemen, led by the Sector Commander, Onaghaise Osayande, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, intercepted them.

Reinstating the task force’s resolve to curb the menace of pipeline vandals, Ibadin however noted that it would be achieved with the collaboration of members of the public.
He said: “Crime fighting is a collective responsibility and we call on all Nigerians to assist security personnel to fish out all those within their community that are into pipeline vandalisation.”

‘I left school’
The teenager said: “At a point, life became unbearable for my family and my father kept reminding me that it was high time I started fending for myself that he was not up to my age when he started life on his own.

“Then I was 14. Because of the situation, I had to stop schooling when I was in primary four.
“My father called one of our relations, who resides in Lagos, and informed him that I would be coming to stay with him so that he would show me the how to become a man of my own.

“When I arrived, Alhaji Sanni (the relation) said I should join him in his transportation business as a conductor. He was into buying and selling of diesel which he used to get from Shagamu.
“After introducing me to the business, he said aside being the bus conductor, my duty would also include standing by the road side to look out for policemen and alert them. I do not join them in the bush.

“At the end of each successful operation, we would carry the product and deliver it at Mile 12 where we have tanks.

“He pays me N2,000 per trip, which is a lot of money to me. I am terribly sorry because I did not know it was a crime.

“My intention was to help my family and to tell you the truth, I have been sending almost every proceed to my family with the hope that one day I will return to school.”

‘We use informants’
Another suspect, Chibuzor Okorie, 44, said: “I worked with informants, who monitor activities at NNPC, to alert our members whenever they are pumping fuel along Sagamu axis.

“I sell the adulterated diesel to suppliers who in turn mix the diesel and sell at N4,500 for 50 litres. At the end of the day it will be sold at N6,000 to retailers who are always on standby.

“Our informant will also specify if there is pressure on the line as this is the only time we can successfully extract fuel. If there is no high pressure when they are pumping, it will difficult to fill a gallon.”

Other suspects include Sani Musa, Musa Adamu and Aminu Suleiman. According to Ibadin, they will be charged to court.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment